[thelist] max length of a URL?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jun 1 13:44:58 CDT 2001

On 30 May 2001, at 19:24, Alastair Murdoch posted a message which said:

> 256 characters rings a bell, but that may be more than a little out of date
> (probably v3-).

My memory rang the same bell.

I think we're probably remembering that there is a problem with long
GETs because many (all?) shells have a built-in limit on how long
commands strings can be. Unless your httpd is running on a file
system that limits the length of pathnames, I don't think there is any
reason a URL cannot be arbitrarily long.

The HTML standard skipped directly from v.2 to v.3.2 and we're
only at v.1.1 of the HTTP standard, so I think it's pretty fair
to state that this isn't something that was in v.3 <grin>

deke