[thelist] Re: COLDFUSION folder upload

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Sat Jun 2 16:28:42 CDT 2001

Jon,

: The user types the name of the folder, then on the query page, I get
: all the contents of the folder (using CFDIRECTORY, right?), then output
: X number of <input type=file> fields with preset values (not using
: JavaScript, using CF) then just have the user submit the form. Would
: this work or would it still be a breach of the security measures that
: stop you from prefilling form fields?

CFDIRECTORY reads off the servers HD, not the client's, so there is no way
that could work unless the files you want to upload are already on the
server--in which case, why upload.  Anyways, you cannot set the "value" of
an <input type="file">, not even with <input type="file" value="asbasdf">

It sounds like you are trying to dumb down an application for computer
illiterate users.  Believe me, you are fighting a losing battle.  You're
going to have to give them FTP, VP, whatever, and train them.  If it's
important enough to the CEO or whoever makes the training decisions, then it
will happen.  If you are the IT, it is part of your job to convince them.
You can only hand hold for too long--then you end up killing yourself and
hating your job.

-joshua