[thelist] SQL Server and Cold Fusion (fwd)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Jun 3 15:08:12 CDT 2001

jeff wrote on 3/6/01 9:00 pm

>:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>: From: Martin
>:
>: [...] If CF couldn't talk to a db on a separate
>: box, it'd be a pretty large embarrassment as you're
>: not going to get any kind of sensible performance
>: under load if the web server, CF server and db are
>: all running on the same production box.
>:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>it all depends on the kind of load you're talking about.  you can take the
>database server off the same machine and give it its own box, but then your
>network connection is the bottleneck.  the pitch that the database server
>and cf server should be on separate boxes is the early morning mantra of the
>webserver salesman.  unless you have a site that has *lots* (way more than
>the "lots" i've heard tossed around here) of traffic you'll likely never run
>into a situation where they both can't play nice on the same box.

I'm not disagreeing. I meant that it would be an embarrasment for
Allaire/MM
if CF didn't support remote connectivity as it would limit the loads which
CF-based sites could handle.

And when you think about it, how else are you going to do loadbalancing
across CF servers?

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland