[thelist] CGI to Cold Fusion

Josh Spiegel joshsquared at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 23:56:54 CDT 2001

My (josh) answers to jeff's questions(thanks jeff )
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Josh Spiegel
:
: Ok, so lets say I have test.cgi.  All
: test.cgi does is set the variable
: $myvar = "something".  Is there a really
: slick way for me to write a cold fusion
: page that can call test.cgi and get the
: contents of $myvar in the cfm?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the approach depends on several variables.

1) is that really all the cgi file is doing?
>>The cgi is really doing a whois on odd ball domain tlds (.vc, .ts, etc.).
>>it uses some specialty xml perl module and a bunch of other modules
>>that make it very hard for me to recreate in cold fusion.

2) does the execution of the cgi script have
   to happen in during the request to the
   cold fusion template?
>>Well yes.  The user comes to look up a domain to see if
>>its available/ comes to get whois info

3) what version of cf server is this going
   to be running on?
>>CF 4.5

4) if necessary, can you install a cfx tag?
>>Yes.  I have admin privileges.

5) is the cgi template and the coldfusion
   template on the same machine?  if not,
   are they on the same network?
>>Yes. Same machine.  (I am running a fairly new release
>>of active perl)

6) is the value the cgi script is returning
   a simple value or a complex one?
>>Simple (i.e. owner_fax, owner_address, etc.)
>>although I could string them into an array

and probably the most important question:

7) is there some reason why you couldn't
   replace the functionality in test.cgi
   with a coldfusion template with the
   same functionality?
>>(see number 1)

thanks, >> no, thank you!

.jeff

-josh
Side note: It seems like this should be easier.  Isn't most of cold fusion
derived from cgi?