[thelist] Site redirect check : old browser

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 00:26:30 CDT 2001

man, you have about 2 too many >s in your reply quotes...

> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
[...]
> Oops - I've commented out the comment.  Would you please be kind
> enough to try it again?  Did you manually navigate to the nobrows page
> or did the site jump you there?

the site dumped me at the nobrows page, after flashing the home
page...

http://svc027.bne246d.server-web.com

did it again, flashed the home page, then kicked me over...

JS error, Line 12:
syntax error
--> (crapping out on the >)

JS error, Line 24:
init is not defined

JS error, Line 34:
identifier is a reserved word
try{ //IE ...

after reloading it the 3rd time, i stay at the home page...

> there is on the non complying browser page.

no there wasn't...were you using a document.write?

> NN3 is not standards compliant.

well, that's a matter of perspective... it will render compliant HTML
2.0 and 3.2 pages quite nicely... what you mean is that it's not
HTML 4.01 compliant, which makes sense, since it was released
well before HTML 4.01... *however*, your wording says 'consistent
across all browsers," which is my point... i read that far and said,
"well, then, why can't i see it?  clearly this is wrong, or they are
clueless..."

> Thanks for the comment.  I agree - we need to clean up the wording a
> bit so we don't offend the user with the wording. However, we give a
> moose's nut about compliance with standards so if the user gets
> offended by our compliance - tough.

hmmm... i care about compliance... you seen my home page?
http://roselli.org/adrian... it's completely CSS 1.0 and HTML 4.01
compliant, and complies to WAI guidelines... in fact, so does
evolt.org... and have you seen how they appear in NN3?  they work
quite nicely, thank you...

don't confuse standards with coding beyond what browsers can
handle... you can still code compliant pages that degrade well...
what you are doing is coding to compliance beyond concern for
older browsers, which makes me wonder if you are doing it just
because you can, or if you are doing it because it's easier than
degrading nicely...

ironically, as you get older in the browser chain, you're less likely
to get the JS support you'll need to redirect the users...

oh, yeah, you might wanna read this, too:

Inside the evolt.org Rebuild: The HTML and CSS
http://evolt.org/article/list/20/5816/index.html

it details the rebuild of evolt.org to be standards-compliant, without
leaving any browsers in the cold...  check out the screen-caps...