[thelist] Site redirect check : old browser

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 01:27:39 CDT 2001

> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
[...]
> well, its some sort of research.  As a rough guide to what people are
> generally using its ok ?  If its not useful for general trends why do
> people still collect and display it?

it's collected and displayed because people use it as cheap
research, and that draws ad revenue... i don't use those numbers,
other than to discuss the aggregate internet...

but no, that's not research... in fact, if you have any friends who
have degrees in statistics, market research, etc., you should ask
them if they consider that research... yeah, there are 2.1 children
in every household in america, according to aggregate stats, with a
boy/girl breakdown of 1:1, but i'm not going to sell baby clothes as
boy/girl pairs only...

> Good point about polling our users - we'll do that now (there are 600
> of them).

aw, hell, that's cake... you might be surprised, you might not be,
but once youve polled them, you'll *know*...

> >but you'll never know without polling... you'll be satisfied when
> >your numbers stay the same... and without vocal users, you'll assume
> >that if the phone ain't ringing and site ain't down, that the
> >clients/users are happy...
> >
> Believe me when I say shareholders and stockbrokers are not backward
> about coming forward. We'll know if they aren't happy.

but isn't what they know about the success based on what you tell
them?  it's not like they're going to surf your logs, see the
numbers...

> sounds cool - is there normally payments to post those headlines?

nope... evolt.org has one, and it's grabbed by a few sites to display
the top 5 (or 10) headlines on the site... very handy...

you might find this article interesting:

Headlines in RSS and Perl
http://evolt.org/article/list/17/5535/index.html

evolt's is at:
http://evolt.org/evolt/xml/rdf.cfm

and you can add it to your N6 sidebar at:
http://members.evolt.org/djc/rss.php

NewsTrolls has one at http://www.newstrolls.com/newstrolls.rdf...

and you can build one from a few sites at
http://www.newstrolls.com/cgi_bin/grasshopper/get.cgi