[thelist] multiple databases in oracle

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Thu Jun 7 15:14:15 CDT 2001

Our dba out here wants to add new tables to the existing database for new
sites and restrict specific tables to specific user accounts. So in
coldfusion, one datasource would use one account and another datasource
would use a different one. From the perspective of CF, they are seperate
databases. But in actuality, they are all one database within Oracle.

Is this a good practice? I kind of feel that entirely seperate databases
would be better, but then I don't know much about oracle so I could be way
off base. Anyone care to give a brief run down on how Oracle treats
databases?

TIA

Bruce

P.S. - These databases are for internal sites, not for customers although
there may be in the future.