[thelist] Dynamically Generated External CSS file (fwd)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 7 15:20:06 CDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:11:34 -0500
From: Eric Engelmann <eric at geonetric.com>
To: "Thelist at Evolt. Org" <thelist at evolt.org>
Subject: Dynamically Generated External CSS file

Any reason not to do

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/style.asp">

to create 'separate' stylesheets for IE, NN? Seems to work okay on IE 5, NN
4.

The only thing I can think of is that it'll mess up caching somehow (so it'd
get executed each time), since your browser may not know how to store a .asp
file in the cache or something, but I don't know why, since it can store the
results of a regular page just fine... Haven't seen any problems so far.

Anyone tried this and found some glaring problem?

Other options:
* Mapping .css to asp.dll (which I saw recently on this list... but I'd
rather avoid it if possible. Setting up more server mappings in IIS is just
scary, given that the MS security checklist basically removes them all
except asa,asp)

* client-side JS to detect and select a styleshee (ala
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20000724/148855.html) ... but
would prefer not to depend on JS (though, its true that if you have CSS
support, you'll usually have JS support).

- Eric