[thelist] Re: How to record/ edit music to play on web

Hiran Watson hiranwatson at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:26:56 CDT 2001

Ian, two good programs I've found useful and are shareware are
SonicFoundry's Acid, and CoolEdit. (Actually, Acid is supposed to be a fully
functioning free version, but that's not totally true!) The link for Acid is
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=155 and the link for
CoolEdit is http://www.cooledit.com/. You might need a bit more than what
they offer, but for me they have worked fine. In terms of music format, when
you record/rip/create music on your computer, it's stored in Microsoft's PCM
format (*.wav).  You can convert it to MPEG-Layer 3 format (*.mp3) to save
space. Because you're converting from one format to another, you'll lose
some quality, but usually it's not enough to notice to the untrained ear.
There are a variety of programs to convert to mp3, but the one I use is
Audiograbber. Again, the version I use is the shareware version, but it's
unlimited time. The link is
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html. Download Audiograbber, and
the Lame MP3 Dll. Install them both to the same directory. Then when you
start Audiograbber, click on the mp3 icon, select internal encoder, and the
LameEnc Dll. Then you can select what bitrate you want. The higher the
bitrate, the better the quality, but the more the space required. For the
most part, 192Kbit/s is recommended because that's close enough to cd
quality, and the difference in sound w/ the higher bitrates aren't usually
noticed. You can select also whether you want Audiograbber to rip directly
to wav, or mp3, or what. If you want to convert a wav that's not ripped from
a cd to mp3 (which you want to do), click on file, select make mp3, and
select the wav file. (Make sure you select the bitrate and stuff the way I
mentioned above). Anyway, these three programs work fine for me, so give
them a try.
Hiran