[thelist] CSS

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sun Jun 10 20:18:23 CDT 2001

> I would like people to be able to click on a link and load in a
> different style sheet that will allow them to view a greater font
> size. I know this can be done, but don't know how.

hi gary

lotsa ways, including one way that involves no work on your part at all

the solution will depend on the technology available to you

if you are running ASP, the aardvark has written up one approach that you
can pretty much just lift as is --

  http://evolt.org/article/asp/22/253/index.html

if you are running Perl, see martin's article --

  http://evolt.org/article/perl/17/4415/evolt.org

you may not need to go so far as to utilize cookies if you provide a link
that will append a query string to the url and use this to select a
different style sheet, e.g.

  http://example.com/index.html?css=size3

the "no work on your part" would be not to specify a font size at all in
your (single) style sheet -- you may then want to provide a link such as
"Click Here To Change Font Size" which goes to a page that explains to the
site visitors how to change the size of their fonts in their browser

this is explained in The Dao of Web Design at
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dao/index.html

rudy