[thelist] When should you redirect? (was site redirect check)

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Mon Jun 11 04:30:25 CDT 2001

> The question still remains -  is a redirect appropriate for sites which
> don't cater for certain categories of visitors, whether browser or some
> other factor is the determinant.  For example, flash only sites and text
> based browsers.  Or, sites designed for Win and any Mac user.

One comment : "Let the user choose".

It's not really a question of having flash or not, having ie6 or not, it's
also a matter of personal choice.

I mean, I may have ie6 with the latest flash plugin on T1 at 1600*1200 and
still prefer to have a fast loading html page instead of a slow loading
flash intro.

I may have a 33.3 kbs connexion, and still want to look at the high
bandwidth version of a site, simply because it looks appealing.

I prefer a plain page telling me what my choices are, than having my
"surfing experience" directed by a stupid js or cgi or wathever. Afaik js
can't read my mind (yet).

That's _my_ choice, and imho it's the choice of most internet users. We are
not so dumb after all ;-)

Philippe