[thelist] Check browser settings with ASP?

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Mon Jun 11 11:49:37 CDT 2001

Hey aardvark, I had read your article prior to this, perhaps a week ago. I then did some research on environment variables and how they are passed to and fro'. Good stuff all around.

I included in this reseach some additional articles in various magazines and on-line sites. In my little group I made them aware of the actual viewable size of the window rather than screen settings. I should have been more clear that this is what we were looking for so that even if conversion had to be done "we could handle it in the math".

(i.e if browser=MSIE then
        if width = 640 set width to 628
        else if width = 800 set width to 788
        end if
    end if
etc.)

I also informed my group that we should probably be more concerned with the 'width' attribute, since most of our pages will be more than one screen long.

Unfortunately ASP provides know known method (to me) of capturing browser width, even though it can return many environment variables.

So we will try the method suggested, have ECMAScript read the info, set a cookie with the info, and then retrieve that cookie info with ASP. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks all...very much!

Jay Blanchard
Web Engineer
Thermon Industries, Inc.