[thelist] Site Conundrum

Green, Janet JGreen at DesMoinesMetro.com
Tue Jun 12 14:20:30 CDT 2001

***Now, I have thought of having the whole shebang at one site where the
visitor
picks which area to go into--but I'm not sure a potential client would
really
know what to do...I'm playing with a tentative splash page design here:***

Gina, I *really* like your layout - simple and elegant, but looks
appropriately hi-tech... and the personal photo is a great touch. A couple
of thoughts:

If I am a business owner seeking a web designer, *anything* on the site that
doesn't pertain to me or answer my questions will be a distraction. For that
reason, my vote is to maintain two separate sites. This will make your
traffic analysis easier as well, I think. Other reasons to maintain separate
sites would be:
1. you can design the sites *for* the intended audience, keeping in mind all
you know about that prospect's level of prior knowledge, their
viewing/surfing habits, screen resolution, etc.
2. you don't run the risk of one client finding information intended for the
*other* audience - such as a small business owner discovering that you
charge a lower rate for your outsourcing clients, which could be a tricky
explanation.
3. You don't run the risk of *confusing* one client (the small business
owner) with technical information they might run into over on the other side
(such as discussions of graphic optimization, etc.) without realizing they
are no longer in their own intended area.

In my 15 years in marketing/communications, the caveat has always been, "one
(tool), one message," meaning don't try to make your brochure or video or
website all things to all people.

Along those same lines, I did think the tab structure in the upper right was
a logical choice, but the wording on the tabs was one area that might
confuse me as a potential client. If I'm a business, that makes me a
"business or individual" but then I am *seeking* a "professional design
firm..." so I might not know which tab to choose. If you are going to use
this structure and maintain only one site, consider re-wording the question
to read, "Click below if you are a..." then make the tabs read, "Business or
individual seeking a web designer" and "Professional web design company
seeking freelance talent". Yep, it's long wording and it may force you to
expand the tabs or edit the wording a bit... but, it sure makes it crystal
clear which side of the site is for which audience.

Hope this helps... nice work so far !
Janet