[thelist] Site Conundrum

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at magisnetworks.com
Wed Jun 13 15:05:51 CDT 2001

Haven't needed to do this yet, so this is theoretical stream of
consciousness:

Does the subcontracting content need to be securely separate from the end
user content, or can the .com site have a subtle link to the .net site (Deep
Pockets Click Here) ?  Will your clients really be distressed if they
discover that you subcontract for less than your home-grown projects? They
shouldn't be bothered but that assumes some common sense.

Does the content need to be divided at all? It should be no surprise to
clients that you subcontract, nor surprising to contractors that you have
your own clients. Make sure you're not complicating unnecessarily.

How will folks be directed to the site?
* search engine - they'll get to the correct site whether they're named
similarly or not, but there's the potential for confusion on return visits
* invitation - when you direct professional visitors, you'll specifically
point out the 'semi-private' address of sitediva.net and make sure they're
aware of the special pricing they're getting. they'll remember.
* word of mouth - if a client recommends you to someone interested in
subcontracting to you, they'll likely see the .com site first, but if they
like what they see they'll contact you and be directed to the .net site

Joel D Canfield
Applications Manager
Magis Networks, Inc.
jcanfield at magisnetworks.com