[thelist] privacy statement - where to begin ?

Fortune Elkins fortune_elkins at summithq.com
Thu Jun 14 09:39:27 CDT 2001

hiya!

what you have to do depends on how global you are. the eu has some data
protection rules, and the us has pending legislation. it's not for you or
your boss to write -- you actually probably should get a lawyer. but, imho,
basically you should be ok if 1- you have an "opt-in" policy, not an
"opt-out" and 2- you never ever sell any of the information you collect.
also, try to avoid deals with your online ad people that involve them
tracking users through the site or sending cookie info to their databases.

some anti-spyware bills are pending in congress, after that doubleclick
fiasco, but they haven't passed yet. there are also some tough anti-spam
proposals that have been recently been introduced. again, no action yet
afaik.

here in the us, if your site is aimed at children under 13, you technically
need to get the parent's consent before you collect info, according to COPPA
'98.

if you have a banking or health site, then there are a couple of complex
laws that might apply to you: the gram-leach act of 99 and the HIPPA of '96.

hth,