was I bitchy? (was: Re: [thelist] webmonkey redesign)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 17:36:16 CDT 2001

> From: Jay Greenspan <jay at trans-city.com>
>
> It's really figgin hot and I still tend to be a bit defensive of 'da
> monkey.

nup, you wasn't bitchy... you bring a different perspective to it is all,
having been in there at one point...

i also know how defensive i can get over an old job, only because i
don't want any negative comments toward my old employer to
reflect on me... not that anything was truly negative, just
constructive...

> I can write a tip now that I have my AC installed.

AC off for the day, leaving soon to stare at piles of ice...

<tip type="basic">
Use the default file of your webserver.  Disable directory browsing.
If your server is configured to show index.html at any directory
request, then make damn sure that there is a file called index.html
in there that contains content.  At the very least, put a sensible
redirect in there.  People will hack filenames off URLs to get back
up the directory structure, so make sure it works for them instead
of displaying all the files in the directory.
</tip>