[thelist] SVG - who ? what ?

Eric Cestari eric at ohmforce.com
Fri Jun 15 03:53:22 CDT 2001

Hi Jelle,

SVG and Flash have the same goals, being  the vector graphic standard.
SVG is being defined by w3c (http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8).
It is heavily supported by Macromedia's arch-nemesis Adobe.

Yet, the major difference is for the the developper.
SVG is an XML application whereas Flash is in proprietary format (though the
API is available freely).
Thus you could code all your SVG graphics with Notepad(tm) though I would
not recommend it. But yet, generating on the fly, with any serverside
language, a flash-like thingy, is pretty cool to me.

Will it be viable to the end-users, for who it won't be any different, is
another question ...

Cheers,
    Eric