[thelist] PHP and article splitting

John Meyer john_meyer at geocities.com
Fri Jun 15 15:00:17 CDT 2001

At 12:49 PM 6/15/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello.
>
>This is almost always (if not _always_) done using a database to
>store the article in seperate pages. You may or may not be keen on
>the idea of using a database or you may not be able to run a
>database on your server, so you could also do this using plain old
>text files by storing each page in a seperate file
>(articlename_1.txt .. articlename_4.txt). This probably isn't worth
>it though as it would be pretty taxing on your server depending on
>what kind of traffic you are getteing.
>
>As for tutorials and all that, check out http://www.phpbuilder.com/

Alright, now here's my big question:  can you persist the variable of the
string over n-number of pages.  What I was getting at was this

1.  User clicks on article
2.  If the querystring is nothing, then open the recordset and split the
article across four or five sections into an arrray and display the first
one.  Otherwise, take the pagenumber variable of the recordset (2,3,4) and
display that item in the array.