[thelist] SVG - who ? what ?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Jun 15 20:14:56 CDT 2001

At 5:57 PM 6/15/1, Peter Kaulback wrote:
> isn't SVG just a new incarnation of VRML.  If not then a buddy
> at Platinum owes me a beer ;-)

Oh, man, it's after 6pm on a Friday night, and it's over 80 degrees
outside, and the Giants game starts in an hour, and I don't know if I'll be
able to get my accordion practice in this evening 'cause I'm still at the
office answering email, and meanwhile Peter will be outside drinking a cold
beer paid for by his errant buddy over there.... ;-)

You're right, SVG and VRML are very different file formats. VRML97 is an
actual designated "Standard", being approved as such by the ISO awhile
back. When SVG 1.0 eventually gets through the W3C approval process (it has
been stalled for awhile now), then it will become a "Recommendation",
similar to PNG... an actual de-jure standard is a few steps beyond that,
and becoming a de-facto standard is a different task entirely.

But you're right, although 2D vector graphics are sometimes referred to as
"a degenerate case of 3D graphics", SVG and VRML are very different file
formats, with different potential uses. Enjoy your beer there for me,
okay...?  ;-)

jd