[thelist] Refresh Brain Teaser....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Jun 15 20:51:48 CDT 2001

I've been beating on this problem for most of the day with no success. For
most of my solutions Netscape works, but IE does not.

I have a popup window that is set to refresh every 5 minutes. I need the
page not be refreshed from the cache, ever.

[meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="600;
URL=http://www.foo.com/dir/popupnews.html"]

Try #1

I added expire tags to the top and bottom of the code.

     [META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"]
     [META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Tue, 04 Dec 1993 21:29:02 GMT"]
     [META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1"]

This works great with Netscape. IE pulls from cache.

Try #2

I wrote a javascript that creates a random URI Tag and appends that to the
Refresh Meta Tag.

document.writeln("<meta http-equiv=\"Refresh\" content=\"15;
URL=http://www.foo.com/dir/popupnews.html?RAN="+Math.round(Math.random()*10000)+"\">")

This appears to only work once (the first refresh) with Netscape. And IE
still pulls from cache.

Try #3

Screaming, yelling and threatening bodily harm to both browsers. Neither
cowered in fear. sigh.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys

Blatant Plug: Cool Jazz for a hot summer,
     http://LisaMarie.Baratta.com