[thelist] Smart Tags: Viewer liability?

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Sat Jun 16 11:02:47 CDT 2001

>>It occurs to me that if the browser ships with the 'smart links' off
>>(what a misnomer huh?) and the VIEWER makes the choice to turn them on

>>. . .

>Good point.  BUT.....that tag only has one function.  That is to put
smart
>tags on pages.  That would make MS liable in a sense wouldn't it?

Photocopiers also have one function: to reproduce documents...

...the copier manufacturers aren't liable for copyright infringement on
the part of the end-user...

...so extrapolating from that, Microsoft would not be liable, as they
provided a tool that when used within a site that allows the smart tags
to be placed, "enhances the user experience"; and is initially
disengaged.

Dem lawyers sure r smart puppies. :P

-m