[thelist] Scroll bar colors

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Sat Jun 16 23:57:19 CDT 2001

At 01:12 PM 06/16/2001, you wrote:
>At 10:42 AM 06/16/2001, jeff wrote:
>>they're only compatible with win/ie5.5+ as i understand it.
>
>They only work with IE6, from what I understand, if it's rendering the
>page in its quirks mode.  In standards mode, it ignores the scroll bar CSS
>since it's non-standard code.
>
>Someone who actually *has* IE6 will no doubt set me straight if I heard
>this wrong. <grin>
>
>Bill Mason
>data at data1701d.com
>Dateline: Starfleet
>http://www.data1701d.com
>http://profile.guru.com/billmason

I wrote a tutorial for WebsiteTips.com on how to do these colored
scrollbars. It does work for IE5.5. I wrote it before IE6 came out, and I
haven't tested it or looked, but I researched all that with links to
sources at the tutorial for further info a couple of months ago.

Also, I just tried it on my PC with Opera 5.1, and the scrollbar tags
aren't recognized.

And yes, the code won't cause a problem for browsers that don't recognize
it. It just gets ignored.

FYI, here's the tutorial, and you'll see a right side column with links to
the resources at Microsoft and elsewhere for further info:

Coloring Your Scrollbars with CSS
<http://www.websitetips.com/info/css/scrollbars.html>

HTH.

Warmly,