[thelist] Bizarre problem with the directory in Opera 5

noah noah at tookish.net
Sun Jun 17 01:25:05 CDT 2001

At 03:11 PM 16/06/2001 +0100, Simon Coggins wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I've just come across a rather odd problem with the evolt directory
><http://dir.evolt.org/> in Opera and I was wondering if anyone had any
>idea what could be wrong.
>
>To see the problem do the following:
>
>1. Surf to dir.evolt.org using Opera 5
>2. Type php in the search box and press go. You should get the search
>results screen.
>3. Now try returning to the top level, by clicking on Top in the
>breadcrumbs trail or go via a category or the about page.
>
>When I do the steps listed above I get the search results page rather than
>the top level of the directory. Closing the browser and restarting solves
>the problem.
>
>My best guess is that it has something to do with Opera's caching of the
>page combined with the way it handles the POST data from the
>search. Anyone ever come across anything like this?

I wasn't able to reproduce the behaviour, but here's my 2 cents all the same.

I use Opera as my main browser, and I'm a big fan, but there is definitely
a problem regarding page caching. My ISP uses a php script for server
administration, but I can not use Opera to do the administration because it
insists on loading pages from the cache even after I make changes. Even if
I reload after making a change, Opera reloads the introductory page
(presumably because the page I've made the changes on is actually just the
same file with some variables included), and then when I go back to the
page on which I've made changes, it loads the page from the cache again.

Not 100% sure that this is the same problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if
it's related.

Cheers,

Noah