[thelist] SSI on Apache

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 11:42:42 CDT 2001

Malcom McAtee wrote:

> I  am trying to set up  SSI on Apache

That's a /good/ thing!

> So far I have added :
> Srm.conf
>   AddType text/html .shtml
>  AddHandler server-parsed.shtml
> Access.conf
>  Options+ Includes

First off, all this should/could be in one httpd.conf
file rather than srm.conf and access.conf. What
version
of Apache are you running?

The plus sign seems to be optional, I don't use it for
Apaches that I'm running on HP-UX, Solaris, Win9x.

> My embedded include statement
> <!--#include virtual="/global/page_name.shtml" -->
> Which file do I edit to point to the global
> directory?  How do I write this statement?

Not sure what you're asking here. Here's a couple of
tutorials that might help though:

  http://mkruse.netexpress.net/info/ssi/
  http://www.carleton.ca/~dmcfet/html/ssi1.html

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/html/97/07/index2a.html?tw=html

> I also have this statement on every page
> <!--#set var="title" value="title_of_page" -->

I don't see "set" as an option for SSI. Nor
is "title_of_page" on my list.
(http://www.anu.edu.au/web/authors/resources/ssisum.php)

<!--#echo var="DOCUMENT_NAME"--> Will show the
filename of
the document. See the URL for other variables
available.
Note that these are case sensitive. Where did you get
'set var="title" value="title_of_page"'?

> Which file do I edit to activate this ?
> How do I write this statement?

Again, not sure what you're asking. Look through the
tutorials and if they don't clear things up for you,
or if you've already read them, maybe rephrase the
question.

HTH,

Terry Fowler