[thelist] HTML in email

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:57:19 CDT 2001

What is an ugly email?

1. One you can't read for the HTML tags?

2. One you can't see because of white space and images pushing down content?

3. All unsolicited mass email sent solely for the purpose of
promoting a service or product?

4. All of the above?
_____________________________

I'm not sure I'm an "average user" but I choose #4.
_____________________________

As a consumer, I'd suggest to companies that if they MUST send mass
emails, it would be so nice if they would be text-based informational
type emails... you know, like a value-added service... and that it
would be very easy for the user to opt in and out of receiving these
very informative and useful text-based newsletters.

This dream-spam would be ad-free, except maybe a small credit to you
and your URL at the top and bottom.

Any prettiness would be achieved with ascii.

<example>
((((((((((((((((( WEBREFERENCE UPDATE NEWSLETTER )))))))))))))))))
</example>

(though that may pose accessibility problems, I don't know.)

Just MHO.

Erika