[thelist] image ready 2/3

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Jun 21 19:49:35 CDT 2001

At 8:16 AM 6/21/1, Brian King wrote:
> With the history and macro features can save you a lot of time
> if you use them to your advantage.  You shouldn't ever have to
> reperform laborious tasks more then once. Just use the features
> available to you.  I think that Image Ready has Fireworks beat
> in that area.  I use the macro building feature a lot for custom
> tasks that I want to do.  I never have to do them again and I
> end up with a package that has my needs built into it when I am
> done, can Fireworks do that?

Certainly. Just copy steps from your History Panel to make a new Command.
Can ImageReady do that...?  ;-)

(Atop that, the internal scripting language is pure JavaScript, and the
application exposes a full JavaScript API. Once you create a command by
copying the basic steps you can open it in a text editor, add conditional
tests or other JavaScript... I've seen people grab live data from temporary
windows to allow parameterizable Commands. Then atop that Fireworks can be
driven by Dreamweaver too, through the same scripting language. There's
much power, even while being easier to use.)

But still, for sharing slicing patterns, that piece of work has a better UI
in Fireworks too, just a single copy/paste will do it. Check Fireworks out.
I suspect it would be advantageous.

jd