[thelist] MS SQL Image Datatype and CF

Chris Johnston chris at completeimaging.com
Fri Jun 22 10:05:14 CDT 2001

Right now I am just experimenting with the idea. Trying to see if I can
get it to work. From what I have read the image data type is just a
BLOB. However, I have no idea what this means.

Our main problem that we are trying to solve is finding a satisfactory
way of allowing the clients to download the files once they are on the
server. We are storing the files away from the website directory
structure (eventually on another computer all together) and are running
into problems with files being downloadable easily from different
browsers. Seems ie 5.5 sp1 has a very annoying little bug in it that
makes it very hard to download files properly.

If anyone has figured out a good way of allowing people to download
files that are not in the web directory and not on an ftp site and that
hides the path to the file it would be greatly appreciated if you could
share this information. The application is being built in coldfusion,
but a JavaScript or java solution that works across browsers and browser
version - ie 5.5sp1, would be a life saver right now.

Thanks,

/chris

Web Developer
www.completeimaging.com/chris