[thelist] [OT] New Firmware & noncompliant memory

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Fri Jun 22 13:09:56 CDT 2001

OK, so a little break came up faster than I expected. ;{>}

http://www.mactcp.org.nz/ is where you want to hie yourself off to. The
site (pacem on the non-existent design of it, please) belongs to one Glenn
Andersen, a Mac programmer of legend. I dealt with him a little over this
POP server he was writing for the Mac called MailShare. (It's now know as
Eudora Internet Mail Server) He knows his beans and is reliable; I'll vouch
for him.

Anyway, on his server you'll find DIMMFirstAid, which can help you diagnose
your DIMM problem, if you have one, and possibly get you back on the air
without an exchange of DIMMs.

I could go into a technical discussion of it (it's a latency thang) but
it'd probably just glaze your eyes over. Suffice it to say Glenn's program
doesn't enable bad DIMMS, it just re-enables DIMMs Apple's firmware locked
out because it didn't know if they were good. The firmware checks, and if
the response it gets from the DIMM doesn't fit, it locks them out. There
are two reasons the response won't be right, and only one means an
incompatible DIMM.

Hope it helps.

Have fun,
Arlen