[thelist] Chatbox using ASP?

Philippe Jadin philippe.jadin at 123piano.com
Sat Jun 23 03:14:17 CDT 2001

> putting a META refresh tag on the page, so it refreshes every 10 seconds.
> am pretty much sure, this isn't the best way to do this, and my first
> question to you was how I could do this in a better way.

Not too sure if it works with any browsers, but it should : if you "stream"
your html (writing the buffer from asp each time there is a new posting -
have no idea how to do this in asp - possible in php), you won't need meta
refresh.

How to stream you ask?

It seems that as long as you don't close your page with something like
close the page (iow "never")

You canot use huge tables in the frame that must be "streamed", because
tables are only rendered when they are finished.

The idea came from the book "Web application developement with php" (Tobias
/ Ratschiller)

Good luck!

Philippe