[thelist] Chatbox

Nicole Parrot nicole at parrot.ca
Sat Jun 23 11:25:09 CDT 2001

From: "Eveline Vanhemel" <eveline_vanhemel at pi.be>
> There is a perfectly good reason for not choosing Java, Nicole, I can't do
> it, my knowledge only stretches to JavaScript not Java... that's
all...:-))

hee hee. very good reason... So how about a ready made chatbox?

http://www.jpilot.com/  will let your users connect to a standard IRC
client.
Registration fee is 50$US
(note: I am not associated with them, but I've used the applet before,
without a problem)

http://www.chatspace.com for a complete turnkey solution. Runs the IRC
server on a Windows machine, and offers plenty of control over the users
(you may require a username and login before they contact the IRC server,
there's a word censor so people can't swear, complete logging at the server
level, etc...) Bit pricey, but they can also offer hosting and there's a
free version with less features.
Oh, and they even offer a message board and chat room integration. I'm not
too sure how it works, because their message boards didn't fit our
requirements, unfortunately.

Eveline, I'm just trying to offer you alternatives which you may or may not
have considered before. Then again, it's possible that outside solutions are
not acceptable in your case. Just trying to help ;-)