[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Jun 24 11:43:29 CDT 2001

>Small problem: the files are not opening in the browser; they're being
>downloaded to some destination on the visitor's HD.  Is there a standard
>path I could point Mac users to in order to find their downloads?

For both Netscape and IE the default download in the desktop.

>Big problem: When a Mac user sends me RTF file, all the " and ' marks are
>replaced with strange ASCII characters. I have to do a find & replace and
>re-upload the file.  OK, I can live with that, but when a Mac visitor reads
>the file, all of the ' (apostrophe) marks are reportedly missing.

I've seen that a lot when things are pasted into email - but just
saved a .rtf file in Windows Word 97 and opened it in Mac Word 98 and
the apostrophe (curly single quote) came through fine. Are the people
having problems opening it in AppleWorks or another text editor?
Could we see an example?

--

- Erik Mattheis

Wants to see a flying saucer.