[thelist] More Smart Tags

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at magisnetworks.com
Mon Jun 25 09:49:36 CDT 2001

Aren't we just retrying Napster here? [or handguns or alcohol or whatever
your personal Satan is]

The tool isn't evil because it's used for bad purposes. The tool creator
isn't evil because it's possible to use the tool for bad purposes.

aardvark, isaac, and others have made the point - this isn't about
Microsoft, it's about the web, and they're not the same thing. Yet. If Smart
Tags and the Image Toolbar bring the intellectual property use of the web to
its knees, Bill Gates is even more powerful than he thinks. If not (I'm
voting the web will survive MS one more time) we should figure out how our
potential clients are going to want us to manage these new 'tools.'

joel at spinhead.com