[thelist] XML Schemas

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Jun 25 12:23:28 CDT 2001

| Does anyone know of a good XML DTD for accepting purchase
| orders over HTTP?
| We want to be able to receive an XML document from other sites

Paul,

This area of development is, understandably -- due to the newness of the
technology, in a state of constant change. Several efforts are aimed at
becoming a world standard, two namely: ebXML (sponsored by UN/OASIS),
BizTalk (Microsoft).

See:
www.ebxml.org
www.biztalk.org
-and-
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix is a nice comparison of
several initiatives of document transfer protocols -- and a PO can be
considered a document in some ways.

There are new efforts and systems actually go beyond just the schema and, to
some extent, define the repository for the schemas and translation among
them, but this is starting to settle out into different layers of a
services-market-network model.

See from our dear friends at O'Reilly for an excellent and knowledgeable
overview of the lot we are in:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/01/ebusiness/index.html
-and-
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/01/26/feature/index.html