[thelist] More good news about Windows XP

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Jun 26 00:33:57 CDT 2001

At 08:06 AM 6/25/2001, you wrote:

> > **********
> > DDoS ATTACKERS RAISING THE BAR
> >

>I was on a MSFT investing message board where this was beaten to death.
>
>What those "security experts" (at the time, it was just one guy, actually)
>failed to mention was that Windows XP will come with a firewall turned on by
>default.  So, this isn't as big of an issue as they're making it.

The expert in question is Steve Gibson. His article is here:
http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm . While he is a bit excitable, he is one of
the best computer programmers on the planet, IMvHO.

This issue while not as explosive as Steve makes it out to be, I don't
think that this is a trifling issue either. First off, according to what
I've read Raw Sockets will need "Admin" privileges. Second, the "free"
firewall. Between these two, if properly configured will help. But if
Mellisa or Kronikova are any indications of the gullibility of the average
user, then people who make a "living" setting zombie servers will have some
pretty powerful tools once they take over the unsuspecting user's PC. It's
just going to take some time.

Given the historic paucity of security in MS software it will be
interesting to see how strong by default the XP OS will be. Also it will be
interesting to see on how long it takes the real virus writers to exploit
holes and create trojans that take over the firewall as well as the OS and
remain in stealth mode until activated.

This could "slowly" grow to be a real problem. My hunches are also fueled
by how many people are still infected by the Sn*w Wh*te viri. XP will only
be as secure at the default install. (Note: for many years MS SQL server
was completely open by default after installation since the "sa" account
(root for the DB) was created WITHOUT a password. Many IIS boxes are open
to attack due to DEFAULT installations even today with Win2K. And this is
with Admins that should know better.)

Just think of the OS arena as a giant eco-system. As an eco-system
approaches a homogeny, a single virus can wipe out everything. MS OS's are
approximately 80% of ALL PCs in the world. Because of that we get these
"basic" viri running amok - and many of these machines are Win9x PCs
because that is what the newest user has. With XP and future OS's, virus
writers will have better plumbing to mess with and the same naive users
securing their boxes.

Yes it's not a tragedy right now, but it could grow into a serious problem.
It's a real problem right now. Heck as you can see with Steve's article -
pissing off a 13 year old can shut down your internet business. If that is
not a sad state of affairs, wait a few years. You ain't seen nothing yet.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys

Blatant Plug: Cool Jazz for a hot summer,
     http://LisaMarie.Baratta.com