[thelist] Smart tags & AOL

Cancilla Dominick cancilla.d at buckconsultants.com
Tue Jun 26 16:09:11 CDT 2001

I've been trying to keep up with the Smart Tags discussion, but there's so
much of it that I may have missed a few points. Much of the issue seems to
be whether Microsoft might be doing something illegal by changing the way a
Web page is displayed. The question I'd like to ask -- and which I don't
recall seeing addressed -- is this: as bad smart tags might be, isn't AOL's
recompression of Web graphics much worse?

My reasoning, based on my understanding of what AOL does, is as follows:

1) Recompressing Web graphics can, at times, noticeably screw them up, and
users of my site can't tell whether AOL is causing a problem or I did a bad
job with my graphics.

2) The default setting for compressing graphics is "on", meaning that my
site is messed with by default.

3) There is no way for me to stop AOL from recompressing my graphics (such
as a meta tag).

Anyone out there agree with me about this? Am I missing something?

DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.