[thelist] Why smart tags are no big deal...

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Tue Jun 26 19:20:12 CDT 2001

<<
>Here's why I think the whole smart tag controversy is overhyped:
>
>1. Smart tags are OFF by default.  Users have to turn them ON.  Therefore,
>they want them on.  If they are annoying, they will turn them back OFF.
>
>2. Smart tags are not installed by default.  Users must download them from
>Microsoft or any other website that decides to make smart tags available.
>If Microsoft puts in a bunch of marketroid bullshit, then users will
>UNINSTALL them.  They must be compelling.

Your assertions for points 1 and 2 are based on your experience downloading
IE 6.  It is my understanding that smart tags come bundled with the next
version of Office for Windows XP.  This will invalidate point 2.  And it
may or may not invalidate point 1 depending on Microsoft's final installers.

We have to remember that this is not an IE specific technology, but rather
an "integration" feature planned for a variety of Microsoft products.  This
greatly increases the likelihood that they will be installed and enabled by
default.  But since the products are not yet final, we cannot know for sure.

As to whether they are Good(tm) or Evil(tm), I lean toward Evil, but will
largly stay out of the fray and let others debate the matter for now.

"Clippy", the annoying help assistant, was also on by default.  We all know
what happened to him... http://www.officeclippy.com/

Customers don't upgrade to Evil(tm).

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com (http://www.surveymonkey.com)