[thelist] HTML in email

Patrick Berry pberry at piratehaven.org
Wed Jun 27 22:55:12 CDT 2001

>>> Jelle Desramaults had the thought that... <<<

> Evolters,
>
> When we launch our new company website we want to send a flashy email to all
> our contacts/prospects.
> I've played around a bit with an email on different platforms and some
> platforms/email clients don't read the HTML the right way
> because they have HTML switched of (or whatever).
>
> What i'm looking for is a way to check if HTML is switched on or off and
> then display text or HTML version (thus avoiding any
> ugly emails that will drive our prospects to the firm next door) .
>
> thx, jelle

Since nobody seems to be focusing on the technical aspect of
this...here goes.

The "right" way to do HTML email is to send the email as a multipart
mime message, with one part being text/html and the other part being a
plain text version of the message.  This way, if the mailer
understands the text/html mime type, it will display the html message
and if it doesn't it should display the text.

Cheers,
Pat

--
It's good that I can call him a Nazi wacko right-wing misogynist purveyor of
deliberate misinformation and know that he will accept it in the spirit of