[thelist] CDONTS.NewMail recipient limit

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Jun 28 10:53:54 CDT 2001

> Won't I get 400 bounced emails then? Or should I just use
> sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com;sgd at ti3.com... ?

depending on your config, no. See below

> libraries and the SMTP Server for IIS aren't the same thing. I have NFI,
> since you don't have to specify an SMTP server for CDONTS.NewMail.

You don't specify a server because (local duh), CDONTS is expecting the IIS
SMTP server. How? --It writes the email to a file in the \MailRoot\Pickup
directory for the SMTP server to grab and send out. (TRICK: Turn off the
mail server when you do this testing, you can then check the outgoing email
file for the length of your address list)

What happens from there: If the email fails, it is placed in the
\MailRoot\Queue directory until the number of retries is exceeded, then an
NDR (Non-Deliverable Report) is generated and sent back to the email sender.
If *that* email addy is bunk, the NDR gets placed in the \MailRoot\BadMail
directory.

So with your 400 bounced emails, you /could/ get them all, or you could set
the reply address to something nonsensical, and also in the SMTP Server
config (in the MMC) remove your address from the "Send copy of Non-Delivery
report to:" box. (not tested) That should send all your bounced mails to the
\BadMail directory.

Now, if you hafta do custom shiznit, contact me offlist. We've bloated a VB
program and a db for such things, I'll run it down if ya like....

sgd