[thelist] IIS, Cookies and html pages

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Jun 28 13:29:40 CDT 2001

> (since that's how you set a cookie). But, even if you did, you'd need
> something to READ those cookies afterwards. And, what would

By including the cookies in the logs, I'd think the log software could do
something with it, but I don't know the capabilities with WebTrends, so I'm
just speculating

> you put in the
> cookie? The entire clickstream (remember, the limit to
> cookies is 4k, I
> believe)?

2k per domain

> If not, you'll probably need to store an ID in the
> cookie that
> relates to some database records that make up the
> clickstream. So, you need
> a datastore as well and something to interact with that datastore.

which means you gotta write something to store that information as it
happens. But, maybe this, too, is covered by the log software (ids assigned
at processing and the db used during the analysis in a temp fashion)?

> So, my guess is you can't do it with IIS configurations
> along. You're gonna

Well, maybe, depending on how well Bob knows WebTrends =)

pitching in without solving anything,
sgd