[thelist] flash and bitmaps

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Jun 28 14:51:51 CDT 2001

At 9:41 AM 6/28/1, Rob Oviatt wrote:
> This made me to wonder if it is possible to setup bitmaps
> as linked images (as done in html) instead of embedded images.

Not per se, no... this article contains background:
"Macromedia Flash Player 5 and dynamic image linking"
http://www.macromedia.com/go/14661

The recap is that this Player is optimized for filesize, and so doesn't
contain the range of runtime import filters that the larger Shockwave
Player does.

(Remember, too, that SWF is inherently resolution-independent... it likes
to scale. It's *posible* to use fixed-res photographs effectively, but it
requires care to not resize or place at sub-pixel positions during import,
authoring, publishing, and delivery.)

For an online photo album, another resource is the "Create Web Photo Album"
Command in Dreamweaver.

jd