[thelist] Log Analysis!

Rachel Lam lists at ewe-wish.com
Fri Jun 29 15:47:39 CDT 2001

Maybe "How the web works" from the Analog site?
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/docs/webworks.html

<snip>
This section is about what happens when somebody connects to your web site,
and what statistics you can and can't calculate. There is a lot of confusion
about this. It's not helped by statistics programs which claim to calculate
things which cannot really be calculated, only estimated. The simple fact is
that certain data which we would like to know and which we expect to know
are simply not available. And the estimates used by other programs are not
just a bit off, but can be very, very wrong. For example (you'll see why
below), if your home page has 10 graphics on, and an AOL user visits it,
most programs will count that as 11 different visitors!
</snip>

-Rachel