[thelist] Concept of website

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Jun 29 16:20:54 CDT 2001

At 10:38 PM 6/29/2001 +0200, Eveline wrote:
<snip>
>  The only thing I still have to create is a search box. The search box
>needs to do the following: you must be able to type in a keyword so you'll
>get presented with a list of URL's as hyperlinks to the pages where the
>searchstring was found. I already searched for some solutions how to do this
>and at the end I always come to one outcome: wouldn't it be better, just to
>put everything into the database.
</snip>

If you already have everything done in a non-dynamic format, I would
suggest employing a third-party search engine (like www.google.com or
www.atomz.com) to index the content and use your search box as an interface
an example.

I do encourage moving content to a dynamic format if conditions
warrant.  But given the begrudging nature of project support expressed in
the second half of your message, I would recommend waiting to move things
to the db until a re-evaluation of the project comes up.

<snip>
>The current server configuration is only because they want to evaluate how
>this project will work out, and, for the moment, spend very little money
>until they have an indication for success.
</snip>

I know its hard to do with many clients, but always try to remind clients
that reward is roughly proportional to effort in many instances.  If they
don't put in any resources, its unlikely that they will be successful.  As
demonstrated by NASDAQ in the last year, the Web is not a magical place
where business rules no longer apply at all.

My $.02

Judah