[thelist] smart tags

evolt@spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Jul 5 14:24:14 CDT 2001

Smart Tags were going to be part of both the new Microsoft Office suite,
Office XP, and Internet Explorer v6 under Windows XP.

Smart Tags (in the context discussed most on this list) were, as far as
anyone can tell, a different kind of hyperlink, created by the browser, not
the web page creator. For instance, all occurences of the word 'browser'
might link to Microsoft's Internet Explorer page.

Microsoft announced recently that they're not including Smart Tags in the
final release of Explorer/Windows XP. XP will be the 'replacement' for
Windows ME and Windows 2000. There will allegedly be two versions, the
business version to replace 2000 and the home version to replace ME.

spinhead