[thelist] Re: effectivemeetings.com Site Crit (Was: thelist digest, Vol 1 # 1463 - 32 msgs)

Shaun M. Anderson ShaunAnderson at smarttech.com
Thu Jul 5 17:22:01 CDT 2001

>I did not like the icons you used form bullets. They are too big, and I
wasn't sure if I was supposed to click on it or what.

I totally agree.  They do that every issue.  Since I've started I've seen
pickles, cheese & crackers, etc.

>Couldn't you make the logos at the bottom BIGGER???  Really, they take over
>the page, and there is no explanation given as to what their role is in the
>site.

They think that it draws attention to those areas.  I think that they're
like banner ads, and I don't even read them,  much less click on them.

>The title, Effective meetings, is in a font I would not take real
seriously.
>I do not like the titles used for some of the pages, like 'Girl
>Interrupted'....it is discriminatory.

It isn't discriminatory, but I guess you'd have to read the article to know
that.  Point taken.

>The easiest page to read was the 'about us' I liked the about page, because
>you used black subtitles- naming the paragraphs so I didn't have to read
the
>text if I didn't want to...I like this.  By the way, is the company name
>'Effective Meetings' or is it 'EM' or is it 'Smart Technologies'?

The company name is "SMART Technologies" and the web site is
"EffectiveMeetings.com" although it is known internally as "EM.com" and EM
is used on the site.  Not the greatest from a branding point of view.

>I do not like the varied icons for bullets used throughout the site.  Did I
>already mention this?  I am getting a headache...hand me a donut.

Yeah, yeah I get it ;-)

>I would strongly suggest developing a style sheet for this site, and stick
>with it to give your content consistency.  Potty train your user from the
>start.  Don't let them pee on the floor while they are deciphering icons.
>Did I say I don't like the icons?

I'm going to have to potty train the people around here to use the style
sheet...

Thanks for the comments.

They'll be very useful when I try to convince my boss to make major changes
to the site.

Shaun