[thelist] liability and the web

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Jul 5 23:47:41 CDT 2001

Just use that phrase "AS IS BASIS" everywhere you can ... of course
you're going to do the best job you can, but you know you can make
mistakes and you know servers can barf - and you should make sure
your clients know this as well.

I have a clause that refers to a separate document called "Project
Description" ... some clients are ok with it saying "design website
as described in email from xx at xx.xxx dated xx/xx/xxxx" - others are
more detailed and a few times, I've seen red fags and I've made them
more detailed on my own accord. But in about four years of working
freelance I've only had to say "Look at the contract and project
description" once ... and that client could not be seen through the
forest of red flags ... I'm still puzzled at why I agreed to do the
web site (when I inquired about why I hadn't received my retainer
yet, they said that they considered the $1700 they had paid to a
stock photography company [for photos I downloaded for their project]
to be sufficient as proof that they would pay me).

Here is a point from my standard dev contract, feel free to use, but
I'm providing it on an "AS IS BASIS" without warranties of any kind,
either express or implied:

8. WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY.  Gozz does not warrant that the
functions of the web site will meet the client's expectations of site
traffic or resulting business.  The service is distributed on an "as
is" basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied,
including but not limited to warranties of title or implied
warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or
otherwise.  In no event will Gozz or its sub-contractors be liable to
any client or any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental,
special or consequential damages arising out of use of the service or
inability to use the service or out of any breach of any warranty,
even if Gozz has been advised in advance of the possibility of such
damages.

Wow, that was a long response. Keep in mind I'm catching up with my
ol' buddy Smirnoff tonight.

--

- Erik Mattheis

Apparently a Triple Scorpio.