[thelist] liability and the web

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Jul 6 00:36:10 CDT 2001

<snip>
>  >8. WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY.  Gozz does not warrant that the
>  >functions of the web site will meet the client's expectations of site

</snip>

>This is a genuine clause?? And it's legal (like being upheld in court)??
>NO WAY will that fly in the UK. Lucky you.

Yeah, that's what I use, and it was written by an attorney that I
gave two or three contracts to model from. But, no, it's never been
tested in court ... if I find out that I did something wrong I
correct it without putting up a fuss (best way to deal with my
shame). I guess I have been lucky enough to have had only one client
that gives me any kind of woe ... everybody else has been grateful
and gracious.

I'm pretty much a one man shop, and could see how that would look odd
to a legal department ... but for cases when my client even has a
legal dept, I've just signed their contracts.

Why wouldn't it be OK in the UK? It puts a qualification on the
services provided and nobody's forcing anyone to sign anything ... I
just need to CMA and I guess I have a knack for making clients feel
like I'm not scamming them ... not hard to do, just being honest
about potential problems/limitations from the get go is approximately
110% of it.
--

- Erik Mattheis

Apparently a Triple Scorpio.