[thelist] XML - will it be big?

Bart Posselt BPOSSELT at dineout.org
Fri Jul 6 07:55:08 CDT 2001

XML's been around for several years already. It developed, like HTML, from SGML, which has been around for decades.

I guess "big" depends on what market you're in. In the DC area, it's been big for the last year or so. There don't seem to be many Web jobs that don't ask for at least some familiarity with it, and we have a pretty decent XML users group. Also depends on what sector of the Internet you're working in. Anything b2b or e-commerce practically requires it now, mostly for exchanging data.

A week in the classroom? Some organizations are now offering four-month long courses.

Bart

**************
Bart Posselt
Web Site Manager
National Restaurant Association
www.restaurant.org

>>> gozz at gozz.com 07/06/01 12:28AM >>>
Although anyone predicting what will be "big" in more than a few days
hasn't learned from history, that said, XML is pretty cool ... but it
dumbfounds me how anyone could publish a 600 page book or spend more
than a week in a classroom on the subject. I find it easier to
understand general concepts and have books with great indexes on hand
... I think that's more of what the real world is like (as opposed to
than studying to know what obscure questions a prof might put on a
test) ... but, yes, I've found XML useful.

--

- Erik Mattheis

Apparently a Triple Scorpio.

(612) 827 3963