[thelist] [fwd] Microsoft PWS

Dan Shafer ervsplace at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 8 10:41:27 CDT 2001

This message was held by thelist software and
is being manually forwarded by a list admin.
Please remember to send emails in plain-text
format only, or they will not reach thelist
until it is later forwarded by a list admin.

I apologize for the simplicity of this question but here goes. I am in
Prepress/Preflight by trade and have been recently placed in our Customer
Service dept to help them understand and communicate to our customers our
pdf workflow. My situation is this:

1. All of our jobs are pdf internally and reside on a Windows NT server in
our Prep dept.

2. Our customer service personnel is on a Novell server which is in our IT
dept and cannot "see" our server in our Prep dept.

3. I being both Customer Service and Preflight have access to both servers
and can see any directories I need.

4. I have requested that all Customer Service personnel have access rights
to see the server in Prep so that when a customer calls in with questions
or concerns, they can simply use Acrobat Reader to open up the pdf file
located on the Prep server. This has been rejected for various reasons
none of which I can understand.

5. I have a Windows NT Workstation which has rights to see all servers, I
have installed the Personal web server on this workstation so that I
create a virtual directory of the mapped drives. I have four mapped drives
which I would like to share with all others (via browser) but when I try
to create a virtual directory it tells me I cannot do this with a
networked drive. I have read some documentation saying I could create an
alias for these but I can find the file they instructed me to configure.

Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions as how to complete this task?

Thanks
Dan