[thelist] Putting keyword meta tags in Include files

Matthew Brooks m at pleonasm.com
Mon Jul 9 04:19:59 CDT 2001

Sharon F. Malone wrote:
>I recently read a marketing article where this was suggested as a viable
>alternative ... that search engines spider meta tag Includes. So, they're
>saying that your keywords would be found just as effectively as if you had
>listed them individually on each of your pages (the only way I've ever
>seen).

Yes, it works for me. My .shtml files pull in the meta tags from a separate
include file. I assume these meta tags are getting read by the search bots,
because the side menu on every page of my site (pleonasm.com) is pulled in
via SSI too, and that menu content is getting indexed at Google and other
search engines.

BTW, I don't put *all* my meta tags in the include file; I hardcode the
keywords and description meta tags into each page individually, since
they're often different for each page. I just the put the ones that are
always the same in the include file, e.g. the author meta tag.

Matt