[thelist] What to ask a client when developing a web page...

Alan Mccoy amccoy at altairtek.com
Mon Jul 9 12:05:51 CDT 2001

Chances are that, if the client is serious about it, they will have already
mapped out a good idea of what they want on the site. Obviously, (but not
always), if they hired your company to do the work, then they've been
thinking about what they want. I agree with John's advice about not focusing
on the technical stuff. Chances are that technobabble will go straight over
their heads. If they currently have a site, ask them what they feel it's
lacking. A lot of what they'll want will depend on what kind of company they
are, what they sell or do, and what their customers are like.

I would do a little research on the company, gather some ideas about things
that a company like that could do with the site, then when you get there,
put away your list and just listen to the client. Also, if you ask them
"What do you want on the site?" you'll probably get some uncertainty and
confusion, but if you ask "What do you want the site to do for your
company?" you'll most likely get a big ol' wish list, which is a great start
for a list of site components.

Hope this helps.

Alan